Beginning of the main content.
Refunds and exchanges
If your travel plans change or your ticket has been lost or stolen, please notify us as soon as possible.
Please note: All bookings are completely non-refundable and non-exchangeable if a cancellation is made after the scheduled departure time of the train.
Conditions of Contract
- Your rail ticket is not transferable and is valid only for travel on the train(s) and date(s) shown.
- For any modification or cancellation, please change or cancel your reservation online as soon as possible prior to the scheduled departure of your train (subject to the conditions of your fare plan).
- For operational reasons, VIA Rail reserves the right to restrict platform access five (5) minutes before your scheduled departure.
- Times shown are not guaranteed. If necessary, VIA Rail may cancel a train or substitute alternate transportation without notice.
- To ensure all passengers' safety, VIA Rail reserves the right to inspect all baggage.
- You are responsible at all times for your carry-on baggage. VIA Rail assumes a limited liability for loss or damage to checked baggage. Ask VIA Rail personnel for more details.
Other conditions apply to your travel.
Here are the procedures and policies regarding:
Ticket refunds and exchanges
You can modify or cancel an e-ticket online on the following pages or from your profile, if no paper ticket has been issued. If this is the case, please refer to the paper ticket section below.
If you modify your booking, a new boarding pass will be sent by email. Note that some conditions apply for a booking modification:
- You can change the train, date or class of service
- If your trip includes one or several connections, you can only change the entire trip and/or all of the return trip
- Changes apply to all passengers included in the booking
- Individual bookings paid with a rail pass such as Student Pass, Youth Pass, Leisure Pass, Business Pass, Canada Pass or Commuter Pass can be changed online
If your booking cannot be modified online, please contact us at 1 888 VIA RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired).
To obtain an exchange or refund, you must present your tickets together with your receipt coupons. In most cases, you can obtain a refund for unused tickets or partially unused tickets immediately by going to the ticket office nearest you.
If you paid for your tickets by cheque, you must present the cancelled cheque (obtained from your financial institution) that was used to purchase the tickets. If you do not have the cheque, you must complete a request for refund and receive the refund by mail.
Some conditions may apply to exchanges and refunds of rail passes and reduced-fare tickets: there may be service charges, or tickets and passes may not be refundable, etc.
For a refund by mail, return your tickets with the original receipt (photocopies not accepted) to the following address:
VIA Rail Canada Inc.
895 De La Gauchetière street west (local 260)
Montréal, QC H3B 4G1
Lost or stolen tickets
The moment you notice your tickets have been lost or stolen, call VIA Rail's toll-free number 1?888?VIA?Rail (1?888 842-7245) or TTY?1?800?268-9503 (hearing impaired). You may also go to the ticket office nearest you.
If you have an e-boarding pass, simply print out another copy of your e-mail.
Lost tickets can be re-issued with no service charge on the departure date by the station’s agent. If you are departing from an unmanned station, you will be able to board the train without a new ticket. You will have to present a photo ID and the Service Manager will manually validate that you are on the manifest.
Lost receipts can be re-issued by a VIA Rail agent at the ticket counter.