Beginning of the main content.
If you suffer from an allergy, specific measures may be taken by VIA Rail to minimize your risk of exposure to a specific allergen.? Please contact customer services at 1?888 VIA-RAIL (1?888?842-7245) or 1?800?268-9503 (for the hearing-impaired) at least 48 hours before your departure.
·When a customer indicates that special arrangements are required due to severe allergies, a VIA Rail Contact Centre agent will refer the request to a Customer Relations Specialist for handling.
·A Customer Relations Specialist will request medical documentation and accommodations will be made according to the customer’s needs and feasibility. Examples:
- Buffer zone
- Announcements on board asking others to refrain from using products with allergen.
- Possible refrigeration and heating of meals. *VIA cannot guarantee or prevent cross-contamination when items are placed in refrigerators or warmed in microwaves on board our trains.
Helpful Allergy Information
At VIA Rail, we understand that specific measures may have to be taken in order to accommodate passengers who suffer from allergies. However, we can’t guarantee an allergen-free environment:
- We can’t guarantee that food and beverages served on board are free of allergens (seafood, peanuts, nuts, etc.).
- It is also impossible for us to offer a special meal that is free of allergens.
- We cannot be held responsible for allergens brought on board by other passengers or for any allergen residue that other passengers may have left on surfaces and seats.
- We cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of the information printed on the packaging of products which are distributed on board.
- We cannot allow an unaccompanied minor with allergies to travel alone.
We suggest the following to any passenger who suffers from one or a number of allergies:
- Have in your possession the medications, treatments and remedies (epinephrine, asthma inhaler, etc.) that you may need.
- Bring your own food or snacks.
- Have in your possession the cleaning wipes you may need for cleansing any surfaces.
- Check the ingredients on any packaged snacks before you consume them.
VIA Rail accepts guide dogs, service dogs and emotional support dogs on board all its trains.? We also accept pets in carriers in passenger cars for trips within the Windsor-Québec City Corridor.? Due to allergies, some passengers may be uncomfortable with the presence of a cat or a dog in their car.? To respond to conflicting needs on board, VIA Rail personnel will consider options, such as relocating passengers to separate areas of the train.
Scented Products Reaction Policy
If you suffer from an allergic reaction to scented products worn by persons seated nearby, specific measures may be taken by VIA Rail to minimize your exposure to such products by reassigning the seating of customers. Please contact customer services at 1-888 VIA-RIL (1-888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (for the hearing-impaired) at least 48 hours before your departure in order to make a Special Service Request. VIA reserves the right to require that medical documentation be provided describing the customer’s specific condition and what constitutes an adequate accommodation.
When a customer indicates a reaction on board a train, he or she may notify a service attendant, who will then notify the Service Manager aboard the train.
The Service Manager shall ensure that accommodations are made according to the customer’s needs, including as necessary, discreetly reassigning seats of either the customer that may suffer a reaction or the person(s) wearing the said scented product, according to the circumstances and in the best interest of all passengers. When the customer that may suffer a reaction is seated in a wheelchair tie-down area, the Service Manager will discreetly relocate the person(s) wearing the scented product.
This policy is directed toward customers experiencing a reaction to scented products. Please also see our allergy policy which shall continue to apply.